Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Why God?! and a Humble Request for Prayer

Hello there friends!  I am so sorry about the past three weeks of silence but there's been a lot of things going on around here.


Have you ever been tempted to feel like this cartoon?  "Why God?!!"  "Why me?" "What have I done to deserve this?"  Lately, I have felt this way... I'm ashamed to say! I guess we all do at some time in life. When life becomes burdensome and we feel overwhelmed and that cross seems to become unbearable. Sickness strikes, debts pile up, relationships become strained...whatever the problems they all seem to pile up into something we half carry, half drag around.

Sometimes we feel that God has abandoned us. We seem to be sinking into some kind of mire. We know that isn't true though. No matter how bad things are they could always be worse. We could never know how much God's grace has already averted or lessened for us.

When we sink... its because we have taken our eyes off of Him. Remember Peter? Faith is what keeps us walking on water,  it is what gives us eagles' wings. The moment we focus on the problems, the situations that we face and take our eyes off of Him, we begin to sink.
http://jesuspictures-photos.blogspot.com 


There is also the question of gratitude to God. Remember the Israelites? This mighty God removed them from slavery, parted the Red Sea, provided manna from Heaven and water to drink and yet they could turn from Him!  They whined like spoiled children when the heat became intense, when they needed food or water. They complained that He had freed them so that they could die! Are we like that sometimes?


Do we fail to remember all that God has done for us in moments of trial?  Psalm 103:2 says "Praise the Lord my soul and forget not all his benefits" NIV. The New Jerusalem Bible translates "and never forget all his acts of kindness".  We could never merit all that God does for us, yet His love is so powerful and His mercy so unfathomable, that He continues to pour out His grace upon us. LET US NEVER FORGET THAT!
http://jesuspictures-photos.blogspot.com/

Today,  I humbly would like to request prayer for my mother in law who has cancer and began treatment last week. She's had some adverse reactions to the treatment and the family has been quite worried about her.  I also want to lift up my sister in law, Francine, in prayer because she is the primary care-giver and has her own health problems. It has been a very stressful time for the family. This lady has been so strong...the backbone of the family. She has always been there for us. It has been so difficult to see her decline... not only physically, but into depression and what seemed to be a loss of will to fight.

For all of my married life (22 years), I have seen the strength of my mother in law. As I grew to learn her life story she became a pillar for me. I grew up with so much negativity and it was  my mother in law who taught me to see the silver lining in the clouds. I have never known anyone who kept up a positive attitude in the midst of adversity as she has done. No matter what...she has  kept a smile on her face and a cheerful attitude. It breaks my heart to see her sink so low.

Seven years ago, she was first diagnosed with cancer and she fought bravely. Her faith in God grew by leaps and bounds and she trusted Him as never before. She had faith that He would heal and restore. She has had a good seven years and we are grateful to God for her continued presence in our lives and the stalwart she has been. Now it is our time to support her. We are praying for strength and courage for her to fight this but we know how tired, weak and discouraged she is. Still, God is a God of limitless power and who knows what He will do in this situation!

Please join me my friends and pray for Joan, for healing of her heart and soul as well as her body. Please pray for the family to understand her needs and to have patience and strength to give to her. As you can imagine, when it is the one who has been the pillar that has been felled, the rest of the structure is weakened.

I want to say a special thank you to Angela and the Good Morning Girls International Group for the prayers they have been saying for the past few weeks. Thanks to you too all my friends...may God bless you all!


Linking to:

 

8 comments:

Courtney said...

I will lift up your family in prayer right now. Your words here really touched me - we all have those questions at times.

Unknown said...

lifting up Joan -- may God be the foundation for all of you during this trying time. May you feel the peace that passes all understanding and may your hearts and minds be filled with the love and knowledge of God.

and...I can TOTALLY relate to all that you said in the first half of this post. Remembering to be grateful and to keep my eyes peeled to Jesus.

Kristin Bridgman said...

I also have had those feelings you talked about. Remembering to always keep my eyes on Him and trust Him and his promises and not my feelings.
I will pray right now for your family and will add to my prayer list.
Love you!

Lisa Maria said...

Thank you so much Courtney and Jen...it is always so nice to know that we have the Body of Christ supporting us in our trials.

Kristin... you're always there when I need prayer. Thank you my friend. Love you too!

Denise said...

Bless you, I will pray.

Anonymous said...

I pray your mother-in-law will feel the presence of God even in her suffering. I pray she will be blessed with the grace to unite her sufferings to our Lord and that He will reveal to her even the slightest glimpse of His Will in this situation. I pray Jesus will strengthen her as she endures in her battle.

Craig said...

Lisa Maria, it's my pleasure – my real pleasure to pray for these things. I just finished saying a prayer for Joan, and Francine, and your whole family. I know EXACTLY what it's like when the pillar of the family is gone – I remember losing my mom to cancer – so I know my friend – I know. God bless and keep you and each and every one of yours.

Lisa Maria said...

Denise, Tricia, Craig...I really appreciate your supporting us in prayer. God bless you all and thank you so very much!