Popular Posts

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Modern Day Proverbs 31 Woman





Here we are at week two of our study of the Proverbs 31 woman. Its been such a rewarding experience thus far. As I've mentioned before, I think, I've done all my studies solo and never really had anyone to discuss and commiserate with. Since joining GMG on Facebook, I've had the wonderful experience of sharing and learning from others and it just brings to life Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron so one person sharpens another" These ladies make me think!

After a lively Facebook discussion this week, I got to pondering how we can apply Proverbs 31 to modern day woman. If King Lemuel's mother were to speak to him in today's age of advanced technology, declining values, alarming events globally which are directly against all biblical teachings...what would she say?  How would she describe the 'perfect wife'?
The Harvester by Adolphe Bouguerea


This is written a little bit 'tongue-in-cheek' to inject a bit of humour so bear with me, but here's what I came up with.

My son, I've been around a lot longer than you have, I've seen things you cannot even dream of. I've seen a world that used to love God and women who worshipped Him and not their beauty, pocketbooks or status in life. You see, once upon a time, there was something called the women's liberation movement, which sought to liberate women but only imprisoned them more. They turned from God's true purpose for them and became a sort of mutant form of female, more male than female, suppressing their natural instincts to love and nurture, they instead, embraced a hardness that would enable them to succeed. They began to see children, a precious gift of God, as burdens that would hinder their climb up the ladder of success.


My son, don't go breaking your heart with these women...they love themselves and can never love as God wants them to love. Yes their beauty is breathtaking, but brittle and cold. Let me tell you what to look for in a future bride.


She will first love God and this will make love her greatest attribute. From this love will blossom a desire to sacrifice, serve and nurture. (remember son, you are not always lovable and this doesn't come naturally ... but will take lots of surrender, prayer and self-denial)


She will serve with joy, diligently, even though she may grow weary at times, she will endure and persevere to the end because of her great love for God and for those she serves. (yes my son, she will grow weary many times... two-year old tantrums are the worst!  Picking up after the kids isn't easy either and, not calling any names here, but when older people also leave their stuff lying around...well, a mini eruption can occur. Be patient, she will come round...eventually)


She will seek God's wisdom, over her own heart's desires and over her own human understanding, so that He will guide her steps in all things. (and if she sometimes slips up...give a little grace ok? Just watch out for Facebook!)


She will be a great steward of all that you give to her, because she treasures you and how hard you labour for her and those for whom you are responsible. (and honestly, don't judge too harshly if she thinks that the deal on a month's supply of laundry detergent was worth it...men don't see things like women do!)


She will have such a heart of compassion that she will give to those in need, both of her time and talent and whatever she can spare. (if she should someday give away your old, holey, but favourite pair of  jeans, please don't yell at her, that homeless man really needed them more than you anyway)


She will teach her children to love God first and teach them the values that you hold dear and she will be a blessing, a gift from God to you. (you may not always think so, especially at... ummm...certain times of the month, but wait it out son, it too shall pass)


Because of these you will trust her wholeheartedly and you will find great happiness and contentment. (I promise you that no matter how rough the ride becomes,  you'll look back on it all and you will smile and you WILL find that you are content and happy)




Yes, this Proverbs 31 lady is a tough act to follow, but not an impossible one. Honestly, I believe with all my heart that the key to emulating her lies with  my number one point...she will love God first! Loving God for me means surrendering to His will, gaining strength from Him and wisdom and understanding. Loving God means that I can tap into His great love and have it spill over into my life and all my undertakings.


I pray for all of us doing this study, may God enlighten us, strengthen us and fill us with His love.

6 comments:

Rosilind Jukic said...

Excellent post!!!!! I laughed and nodded and felt very encouraged. Thank you for posting this!

Jenna Renee said...

What a great post! I think she would definitely warn him of the "modern" problems and vices of this world. I too am doing the GMG study and am visiting from Women in the Word Wednesdays. I am thoroughly enjoying the study and we have just barely scratched the surface!

http://lawyergirlruns86.blogspot.com/2012/05/women-in-word-wednesday-2012-summer.html

Jess said...

You are so right! What a responsibility we have to teach our children about right and wrong even in what mate to choose.
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Laurie Collett said...

Hi Lisa Marie,
Thanks for the excellent post! I am also intrigued by the Proverbs 31 woman and wrote last week's blog post (Happy Mother's Day!) on that theme.
Thanks so much for visiting and commenting on Saved by Grace! Your blog is a blessing and I am now following it, and I invite you to follow Saved by Grace also:
http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/
Love in Him,
Laurie Collett

Jette said...

Lisa Marie,
what a wonderful post!
I am studying GMG Proverbs too. I come from Germany, and we had all these topics you mentioned regarding modern women in discussion during the last days.

Bleesings

Jette

Lisa Maria said...

Thank you all ladies...I learned alot from visiting you as well! I feel blessed by your encouragement

Jette, I would love to repay the visit but I couldn't find a link to your site. Thanks for stopping by and your sweet words. Hope we meet again.